Monday, June 17, 2013

Ready to burst with excitement!
Part of the Scottish Book Trust award was the opportunity to be mentored for a period of nine months. In February I went for an interview at the Scottish Book Trust to see if mentoring would be, I guess, cost-efficient for them to 'invest' in me at my stage in writing. I was asked who I would like to mentor me, someone within reasonable traveling distance. So I mentioned a couple of names of poets who would be great to be mentored by but wouldn't be what I would call 'dream mentors'.
Then one evening, reading online, I noticed that Vicki Feaver now lives in Scotland, something I'd forgotten about. So I fired off a quick email to the SBT to say that she would be a dream mentor for me if it wasn't too late to put in a request. I didn't dare get my hopes up, perhaps she wouldn't be interested in mentoring or available etc but today I received a wonderful email from the SBT to say that Vicki Feaver would be mentoring me for the next nine months and our first meeting will be set up as soon as possible. So I don't know how long this stupid grin will be plastered all over my face but I imagine for a good while!

8 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

I hadn’t heard of her—I don’t know anyone—but I dutifully looked her up and read some of her poems. She seems like she might be a good fit. Her poems have more narrative than most of yours. Let’s hope you get on.

Marion McCready said...

she's a fantastic poet, Jim, not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that she would actually be mentoring me!

Alan John Stubbs said...

Excellent, well done Marion. I hope that mentoring is all you want it to be.

Best,

Alan

Marion McCready said...

thanks, Alan! to be honest, I'm just so grateful for the opportunity of being mentored at all!

Roxana said...

i am happy for you :-)

Marion McCready said...

thankyou, Roxana :)x

Heather said...

Wow, dream come true. How exciting. I like Vikki's poetry. I'm sure it will take a while to come down to earth after that! Well done. Great news.

Marion McCready said...

Thanks Heather. Yes, it's wonderful news, very much looking forward to it! :)